Article main image

> How to find a job after graduation in Germany?

Germany is one of the finest destinations for students in Europe as it is setting the lowest unemployment rates. There are a large number of requirements for both EU and non-EU students who are looking for work in Germany. Especially for the fields of automation and engineering. Thus, working in Germany is an attractive option that is available for students graduating in the upcoming years. Germany has various attractions that have made it be one of the best places to work. This is a guide that will let you know how you can lookout for a job after pursuing your graduation.

Working in Germany after completion of studies:

It is a good idea to plan on what you want to do after completing your studies if you want to stay and work in Germany. Most importantly, if you learn the German language it would become much easier for you to find jobs in Germany and without it, you would get limited to some sectors only. It is an advantage to know the German language anyhow if you are planning to stay.

For the students from the EEA / EU

You do not need to have any permits to seek a job in the EU. Any EU students will be treated the same as any German resident seeking job in Germany. This is a great benefit for any EU student seeking a job in Germany. You can look out for any job according to your profile and have the same tax benefits and work conditions as any German candidate.

For the students from outside of EEA / EU

Students from non-EU countries can extend their residence in Germany for up to 18 months in case they want to find jobs that are related to their studies. For applying for the extension in residence permit, you would need to have some documents. Following is the list of documents that are required for application of extension of residence.

  • Passport of the individual applying for an extension.
  • University Degree Certificate or similar official document from the university that can confirm that the individual has completed their studies successfully.
  • Health Insurance document of the individual.
  • A proof that can establish the fact that the individual can support themselves financially.

It is advisable to start looking for employment in your final semester as the 18 months extension starts as soon as you get your result. For this time period, you can take up any job to support yourself financially.

As soon as you get across a career path and accept it, you can apply for an EU blue card or German residence permit. It is similar to the US green card. For the time your application is pending, you can stay in Germany. Getting an EU Blue Card is beneficial in case you seek to work in another EU state. You can ask the foreign resident's registration office to know the required details and documents required, they can advise you on which permit you should apply for. To apply for Blue card, you have to be offered a job paying at least €49,600 (US $52,850) for a year.

If you desire to be a get a permanent residence, you would need to wait for two years from the time of receiving EU blue card or similar residential permit, after this time, you can apply for 'settlement permit'. Having this, you can not be stopped from working in Germany.

Seeking work in Germany after you have returned back to your home country

If you have returned to your home country after completion of your studies, but want to go back to Germany to look for a job then you need to file a 'jobseeker visa'. It is a six-month visa that entitles you to look for a job related to your degree. Here too you need to provide proof that you will be able to support yourself financially while looking out for a job. You are not allowed to work on with the help of this visa. You can apply for an appropriate residence permit as you get a suitable position. This visa can be applied from the nearest German embassy from the home country.

Photo by Caleb Woods on Unsplash